It’s been a year since we introduced bottles made from 100% recycled plastic, becoming one of the first in the UK to do so and making the switch half a decade ahead of many multinational brands.
100% recycled plastic, known in the packaging industry as 100% rPET, is made entirely from previously used plastic. This means that we are keeping plastic in a closed loop system and importantly, we are not creating any new plastic.
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do here at SDW; we want to preserve our beautiful region for generations to come and ensure we leave the smallest carbon footprint possible.
To mark one year of 100% recycled plastic bottles, here’s a summary of what we’re doing behind-the-scenes to provide the most sustainable Natural Mineral Water to our customers:
- We bottle South Downs Water at source, eliminating unnecessary food miles.
- We only use UK based suppliers for bottle and packaging materials.
- We use recycled materials wherever possible at every point in our supply chain.
- We run a successful Greener Delivery Initiative to eliminate unnecessary road miles- further details below.
- All of our bottles – glass and plastic – are fully recyclable.
- We are amongst the first bottled drinks suppliers to use plastic that is made from 100% recycled materials (called rPET) for our 330 and 500ml plastic range.
- We recycle our 19l/11l water cooler bottles in-house and encourage customers and end-users to recycle responsibly.
- Our transport pallets are made from wood and recycled time and time again, our transport packaging is fully recyclable.
And that’s not all…
South Downs Water’s Greener Delivery initiative was developed and rolled out to reduce any unnecessary road miles and reduce our carbon footprint. Working to our Greener Delivery initiative guidelines, we:
- Work with our customers to increase minimum order quantities and reduce the number of delivery runs.
- Only deliver with our own vans within a 50 mile radius – for the most part to our South Coast community.
- Use haulage networks for orders from further afield. This means deliveries travel on lorries that would already be travelling in the right direction to avoid duplicating a long journey.
Our eyes are very much focused on a sustainable future and we work hard behind the scenes to revise, improve and innovate our processes and systems to ensure we’re contributing as much as possible to the bigger global sustainability picture. We have lots of exciting plans in the pipeline and can’t wait to share them with you shortly.